Doctoral Hooding Itinerary for Doctoral Students and Faculty Advisors/Chairpersons
View Hooding Instructional Video to learn more about the hooding process.
Hooding Instructions for Faculty
- Line up behind your student.
- An event volunteer will guide the student to the hooding location—an "X" mark, approximately midstage.
- Follow your student and step up onto the small box behind the "X," where your student is standing.
- Take the hood, at the smallest end, from the event volunteer.
- Place the hood over your student's head so that it lies against the front of his/her neck and drapes over the back of the student's shoulders. (The velvet side, signifying the degree type, should be most visible on the outside, and the satin side, signifying the school colors, should be less visible on the inside of the hood.)
- If this is the only student you are hooding, follow the student to the opposite side of the stage and exit back to your seat.
- If you are hooding another student in the same college or department, please step back and remain on stage (as your current student exits the stage) until your next student guided over to the hooding location ("X" mark).
Ceremony details can be found on the Commencement Website.