Grades Assigned to Research Courses That Are Repeated

If students are working on dissertation or thesis research, they should be registered in the appropriate research course (e.g., Individual Dissertation or Individual Master’s Thesis), and the course work given a final grade each semester (not using SP, NG, I grades, or any other "placeholders"). Students should be graded for each semester based on their progress and achievements in that semester. 

The use of P/F for such courses is strongly recommended to avoid undue influence on GPA due to individual grading practices and the large amount of research credit awarded, but it is recognized that some programs will want to use letter grades. Regardless of the grading scheme selected, it must be consistently applied across an entire program. If a program faculty cannot agree on a single grading scheme, the program must use the P/F choice.

Note: The definition of a "research course" is a course outside of formal class work or instruction that allows a student to be registered as a graduate student while he/she is working independently on his/her thesis or dissertation under the guidance of his/her adviser or dissertation committee. This policy also applies to internships and other multiple semester or series courses.