Certification for Graduation (Certify Online)
The finalization and submission of a student’s Application to Graduate will activate the process by which the student will be certified for graduation, and the following requirements must be met. The student should confer with their program office one-two weeks after the application period has ended to assure that any problems related to these requirements (reinstatements/ extensions, or grade changes) are resolved in a timely manner and avoid delay of graduation until a subsequent semester.
Specifically, the student's records will be reviewed to verify satisfaction of the following requirements:
- finalization and submission of their online Graduation Application by the deadline;
- instructor’s submission of passing grades for their final semester credits;
- removal of all I grades from their transcript;
- removal of all UP/SP grades from unapproved courses and/or the final semester in the approved courses were taken;
- assignment of letter grades rather than UP/SP grades for courses in the final semester of the student’s program;
- removal of previously awarded NG grades and blank grade awards;
- confirmation of satisfactory repetition or waiver of required courses in which an F was originally received;
- confirmation of completion of work and changes of I grades within the one-year limit;
- confirmation that the student was registered for at least one credit in their graduate program in each academic year, including the year of expected graduation;
- confirmation that the student completed degree requirements within the prescribed time-to-degree;
- satisfactory completion of at least 30 graduate credits completed to the satisfaction of the student’s program;
- completion of all program requirements for the degree;
- 3.000 GPA has been earned while a matriculated graduate student in the program;
- if a thesis is required, upload the electronic thesis (ETD) with chair approval by the deadline date, which is posted on the Graduation Deadlines website.
Note: The requirements explained here are university requirements. Students must contact their program’s office for any additional program-level requirements or deadlines that must be completed prior to graduation.
Please see the Doctoral Hooding and Master's Recognition Ceremony section for details on the event.