Transfer of Graduate Credits

Students who have completed graduate work at other colleges, universities, or within another program at UC may petition their graduate program director for transfer of credits to be applied towards a master’s or doctoral degree at UC. This petition is evaluated by the UC graduate program. A UC graduate program can accept or reject transfer credits at its own discretion, regardless of the graduate degree program or discipline in which they were earned.

Typically, credits are not transferred if they were earned more than five years prior to the date of the student’s application to the UC program that is considering the credit transfer.

Some students may wish to take courses outside the university while they are a current student in a UC degree program. If a student wishes to take courses from outside the university as part of their graduate degree at UC, they must obtain advance approval from their program for those transfer credits prior to enrolling in the outside courses.