MAGS Distinguished Thesis Award
The Graduate School will not hold the Distinguished Thesis Award competition for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS) Distinguished Thesis Award recognizes recent master's graduates who have demonstrated exceptional scholarship in their theses. UC full-time faculty are encouraged to nominate a recently-graduated master's student for this award.
Upcoming Award Cycle
The nomination application must include:
- The abstract of the nominated thesis. The abstract, describing the research and its significance, must not exceed 300 words and must contain the title of the thesis and the name of the author, but not UC's name.
- The thesis.
- The student's resume (one page only, please) with current contact information (email, phone and address).
- A letter from the student's faculty mentor.
MAGS Thesis Guidelines
- To be considered, a thesis must contain original work that makes an unusually significant contribution to the discipline. It must be in a format that conforms to accepted disciplinary standards, and it must have been accepted as final by the degree-granting institution. Theses submitted electronically will normally be in pdf format; hyperlinks to additional materials may be included but must be verified prior to submission. Any program wishing to submit a thesis in another electronic format should consult with the Graduate School Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to doing so.
- Original works accepted by a program "in lieu of thesis" (such as musical compositions, published books, works of art, computer software, etc.) may not be nominated.
- Since the intent of the competition is to recognize scholarship by students who are pursuing their first graduate research degree, individuals who received a PhD degree (or comparable research degree) in any discipline prior to the writing of the master's thesis are not eligible. However, recipients of a first professional degree awarded prior to the writing of the thesis may be nominated.
All nomination materials must be submitted electronically to Megan Tischner (email@example.com). Submit all materials together (in the same email or cloud storage folder). Incomplete and late submissions will be rejected, no exceptions.
Please direct questions to Megan Tischner.