2024 Three Minute Thesis Application
Preliminary Competitions scheduled January 29th - February 2nd, 2024
Final Event Date: Wednesday, February 21st, 2024
Time: The competition will begin at 2:00 p.m.
Location: Kresge Auditorium
- 3MT presentations are timed; competitors who exceed the three minute time limit during the competition will be disqualified.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted.
- The first place winner of the 3MT competition will receive a $1,000 award. Second place will receive $750, and third place will receive $500. The audience will select a people's choice winner, who will receive $1,000. Someone who wins first, second, or third place may also be awarded the people's choice. All prize funds will be posted to the winners' Catalyst student account.
- Please read competition rules and judging criteria carefully before applying.
How to Apply
Registration for the 2024 UC 3MT competition is open now. Please note that this registration is only for the preliminary round competition. Filling out this form does not guarantee you a spot unless all criteria have been satisfied. Registration will close on January 19th, 2024 and anyone wishing to compete in the preliminary rounds must email their PowerPoint slide to 3MT@uc.edu by this date.
After completing the registration form, students will receive a virtual packet with competition rules, frequently asked questions, and a calendar of events.
Graduate students enrolled during the 2023-24 AY are eligible to participate. If you have taken or are taking at least one graduate credit hour in Fall 2023 or Spring 2024, you are eligible.
Students who sign up for the UC 3MT competition will first compete in a preliminary competition.
Registration is required. We will not be able to accommodate walk-ins.
- Monday, January 29th, 10 am - 12 pm Clifton Court Hall 5105 (West Campus)
- Monday, January 29th, 10 am - 12 pm Health Sciences Building G51 (Medical Campus)
- Tuesday, January 30th, 2 pm - 4 pm, Carl H. Linder Hall 1115 (West Campus)
- Tuesday, January 30th, 2 pm - 4 pm, Medical Sciences Building 7151 (Medical Campus)
- Thursday, February 1st, 2 pm - 4 pm, Tangeman University Center 415 (West Campus)
- Thursday, February 1st, 2 pm - 4 pm, Medical Sciences Building 3057 (Medical Campus)
From the preliminary competitions, finalists will be chosen to compete in the February 21st all-university event.
Competitors wishing to compete in the preliminary rounds will have the opportunity to participate in preparatory workshops providing training for the 3MT. Finalists chosen to compete in the February 21st competition will receive an in-depth coaching session prior to the competition. There will also be various opportunities to participate in virtual and in-person working groups.
The winner of UC's 2024 Three Minute Thesis competition will be registered to compete in the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools' regional 3MT competition. This competition will be held in St. Louis. Travel expenses will be covered by the Graduate College.