Graduate SchoolUC Home PageGraduate School Home Page

Graduate School

Frequently Asked Questions-Admissions

What does a typical application contain?

A typical application to the University of Cincinnati will include the following:

  • A completed on-line university graduate application
  • Official collegiate transcript(s)
    • Send transcripts to the Graduate School Office (P.O. Box 210627, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0627)
  • Letters of recommendation are submitted through the Online Recommendation system
    • Recommenders could include former professors, an employer or other reference if pertinent to the field of study
    • Recommendation requests are emailed to your recommenders 24-72 hours after you have submitted an application
  • Test scores from qualifying exams, for example, the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
  • Test scores from English proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS (see also International Student Admissions)
  • A personal statement or letter of intent
    When applicable, instructions for these documents are available in the online application. Contact the program of interest for more information on admission requirements

What is UC's college code (for the GRE or another test)? 

UC's "CEEB" college code, as established by The College Board, is 1833. CEEB codes are used by ensure that test scores (such as the GRE) and transcripts are sent to the correct institution.

What is the application deadline for my program of interest?

Application deadlines vary by program. Some programs admit students every term, while others admit students only once per year. To find out when your application is due, look up your program of interest in the Graduate Program Finder; each program outline lists the contact person for that program who will be able to answer your application questions. 

How do I apply to the University of Cincinnati?

The university's online Graduate Application is a form that you must complete in order to be considered for admission to any graduate program at UC.

Make sure that you complete the on-line Graduate Application carefully and accurately. Once an application is submitted, it can no longer be edited. Some of the required information includes:

  • Selection of the graduate program of interest (MS, PhD, MBA, etc.)
  • Term and year to begin program of interest
  • Contact information including name, email, address, birth date and country of citizenship
  • Previous undergraduate and graduate school information including degrees earned and dates of attendance

How long will it take to fill out the application?

You should plan on spending approximately 30 minutes to finish and review the form.

How much is the application fee?

$65.00 for most colleges/programs
$130.00 for College-Conservatory of Music
$140.00 for the Physiology (MS) program
$75.00 for College of Engineering
$70.00 for the Psychology program
$20.00 for most graduate certificates

There is a $5 surcharge for international applications.

How do I pay my application fee?

  • By credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover) or
  • By electronic check

Are there any admission application fee waivers?

There are three programs granted application fee waivers by the Graduate School: 

  • McNair Scholars
  • State of Ohio STARS Scholars
  • GEM Scholars

To indicate your participation in one of these programs, select the appropriate button on the Previous College page in the online application.

What do I send to my academic department?

The additional materials to send to your academic program vary. At the end of your application, you will be shown what additional materials are required. You will also receive an email after applying that contains these requirements.

What is the Graduate School's mailing address?

The Graduate School's mailing address is

PO Box 210627
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0627

For parcel delivery services that need a physical location, the Graduate School's address is 

2614 McMicken Circle
110 Van Wormer Hall
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0627

How do I check my application status?

Most graduate programs use Check My Status. The College of Engineering & Applied Sciences and the College Conservatory of Music offer their own separate online application status feature. Although the Graduate School processes your application, your program of interest determines acceptance into the program. Some academic programs review applications as they arrive; others have scheduled review dates and only evaluate applications at that time. Direct inquiries regarding your application status should be made to the program to which you have applied.

What happens after I am accepted to a program?

Once granted admission, you will receive an official letter of admission (or a request for additional information) from your program.

NOTE: Applications and application fees are valid for one academic year (Autumn Semester through Summer Semester).