Graduate SchoolUC Home PageGraduate School Home Page

Graduate School

Fulbright Program for U.S. Students

Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State

The Fulbright program provides a grant to fund students, scholars, teachers and professionals to conduct research projects in other countries. See for more information.

Read about some recent UC recipients of the Fulbright grant:

For more information on the Fulbright Program, please contact:

Pam Person
Director of the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards

The campus deadline for UC students' Fulbright applications is August 29, 2016.

Benefits of a U.S. Student Fulbright Grant

  • Allows for individually designed study/research or an English Teaching Assistantship. You can propose a project and/or study plan that will take place during the academic year in a country outside the U.S.
  • Provides support for study/research/teaching in a single country. You can meet, work, live with and learn from the people of the host country, sharing daily experiences.
  • Facilitates cultural exchange. Through direct interaction on an individual basis in the classroom, field, home and in daily tasks, you can gain an appreciation of others' viewpoints and beliefs, the way they do things and the way they think. 
  • Promotes mutual understanding. Through engagement in the community, you can interact with your hosts on a one-to-one basis in an atmosphere of openness, academic integrity and intellectual freedom. 

Special Opportunities

  • Fulbright/mtvU Award - for researching international music culture
  • Critical Language Awards
  • Business grants in Australia, Mexico, Netherlands and Spain
  • Journalism grants in Germany, United Kingdom and Taiwan
  • Other country-specific awards (see for full listing)

Who Can Apply for a U.S. Student Fulbright Grant?

  • Recent BA/BS graduates. Graduating seniors and recent baccelaureate-degree recipients usually propose projects for which they have had some undergraduate preparation and/or direct work or internship experience.
  • Master's and doctoral candidates. Will demonstrate capacity for independent study or research, together with a general knowledge of the history, culture and current events of the countries to which they are applying.
  • Young professionals, including writers, journalists and those in law, business and other professional fields. May have up to 5 years of professional study and/or experience in the field in which they are applying. Those with more than 5 years of experience should apply to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars in the Fulbright Scholar Program. 
  • Artists and musicians. Applicants without a bachelor's degree may substitute at least four years of professional training or experience.  

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program has a preference for candidates who have not had recent extensive experience abroad (excluding recent undergraduate study abroad), especially in the country of application. 

2017-18 Competition Timeline

  • Online application opens: March 31, 2016
  • UC campus deadline: August 29, 2016
  • Online application deadline: October 11, 2016
  • Final selection notification: March-May, 2017

Should you decide to submit a Fulbright application, please work closely with the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards in order to build the best application possible prior to the campus deadline.


Applicants must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen at the time of application. Permanent residents are not eligible.
  • Hold a BA/BS degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant.
    • Applicants who have not earned a BA/BS degree or the equivalent, but who have extensive professional study and/or experience in fields in which they wish to pursue a project, may be considered.
    • In the creative and performing arts, four years of professional study and/or experience meets the basic eligibility requirement.
    • Applicants may hold a JD degree at the time of application, but not a doctorate.
    • MDs or medical students or the equivalent (e.g., DDS, OD) who wish to continue medical or hospital training or to obtain practical clinical experience should apply to IIE. However, MDs who have completed formal postgraduate training and propose attachment to a hospital or clinic for independent or collaborative research should apply to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars.
  • Be in good health. Grantees will be required to submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate of Health from a physician.
  • Have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken languages of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study. This is especially important for projects in the social sciences and the humanities.  

Preference is usually given to applicants who:

  • Have undertaken their higher education primarily at educational institutions in the U.S. Foreign study during the junior year or other periods of undergraduate study that are integral parts of the curricula of American institutions will not be considered a disadvantage.
  • Have not residered or studied in the country to which they are applying for more than six months. Duty abroad in the Armed Forces of the United States is not considered disqualifying within the meaning of this section.

For most grants, applicants who have had extensive previous foreign experience in the country of application are at a disadvantage, but not necessarily disqualified for that reason.  

Note: The Graduate School does not administer nor sponsor the Fulbright Program.