Fellowship for Doctoral Students Aspiring to Academic Careers
Sponsored by the Fellows of the Graduate School and the Graduate School, this fellowship for doctoral students aspiring to academic careers will provide talented PhD students with funding and mentorship through small-group interactions with senior faculty from diverse disciplines. The goal of this program is to fully integrate Graduate Student Fellows into the academic environment and, by exposing them to the benefits, opportunities and challenges of an academic career, to prepare and energize awardees for securing tenure-track positions.
A maximum of five outstanding PhD students will be selected for the fellowships each year and become Graduate Student Fellows. These fellows will be provided $2,000 annually for up to four years. Those students who are selected as Graduate Student Fellows will partner with mentors and begin their fellowships in September.
Upcoming Award Cycle
Eligibility and Criteria
- Applications are invited from PhD students from all disciplines and departments at the University of Cincinnati.
- Applicants must be matriculated in a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) program and must have successfully passed qualifying examinations and advanced to candidacy. Students matriculated in other types of doctoral degree programs are not eligible for this award.
- Successful candidates will have a strong commitment to research and be able to show evidence of scholarly or creative achievements and potential. There must be a clear research plan (and advisor) in place, as well as a career development plan that builds on the applicant’s strengths and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- A maximum of five outstanding doctoral students will be selected to become new Graduate Student Fellows. The fellowship continues for up to four years or until the student graduates. Annual funding must be used in ways approved by the student’s mentoring committee. Future funding is contingent upon being in good academic standing and having met the goals set in previous years in the Fellows program.
- Graduate Student Fellows will participate in events sponsored by the Fellows of the Graduate School in consultation with the Graduate School. They will also be mentored by a small team of top faculty.