Excellence in Mentoring
The Excellence in Mentoring of Doctoral Students Award recognizes full-time graduate faculty for outstanding and sustained guidance and support of students as they move through the process of becoming experts in their chosen fields. Nominees should have a clear and convincing history of successfully guiding the professional development of doctoral students, and they may have a distinguished record of supervising students who have gone on to make significant contributions to their fields.
The recipient of the Excellence in Mentoring Award will be recommended by a faculty committee. This award is presented at the spring semester Doctoral Hooding ceremony, and the award will include a modest honorarium.
Current Award Cycle
Nominations will be accepted from faculty, former students and current students and will be due to Megan Tischner by January 7, 2020.
Nomination materials should include:
- Letter of nomination articulating the merits of the nominee's record
- A listing of all former and current students, including the current positions of former students
- Letters of support for the nomination from students and colleagues, including at least two letters from former students; letters must be signed and dated
- Nominee's CV
A distinguished faculty committee will review the application materials using the following criteria:
- Evidence of sustained and active mentoring of students over time
- Professional productivity of students as reflected in student records of scholarly and creative works
- Ability of the mentor to both intellectually challenge and support students
- Evidence that the mentor supports students both professionally and personally in the classroom, laboratory and beyond
- Evidence for high standards of scholarly, professional and personal ethics
- Ability to encourage students to work toward independence as scholars and professionals
- Evidence for helping students obtain the resources they need to succeed including help with placement following graduation
Please direct questions to email@example.com.