Excellence in Mentoring
The Excellence in Mentoring of Doctoral Students Award recognizes full-time graduate faculty for outstanding and sustained guidance and support of students as they move through the process of becoming experts in their chosen fields. Nominees should have a clear and convincing history of successfully guiding the professional development of doctoral students, and they may have a distinguished record of supervising students who have gone on to make significant contributions to their fields.
The recipient of the Excellence in Mentoring Award will be recommended by a faculty committee. This award is presented at the Doctoral Hooding ceremony in April, and the award will include a modest honorarium.
Upcoming Award Cycle
Nominations will be accepted from faculty, former students and current students and will be due to Megan Tischner in March 2019.
Nomination materials should include:
- Letter of nomination articulating the merits of the nominee's record
- A listing of all former and current students, including the current positions of former students
- Letters of support for the nomination from students and colleagues, including at least two letters from former students; letters must be signed and dated
- Nominee's CV
A distinguished faculty committee will review the application materials using the following criteria:
- Evidence of sustained and active mentoring of students over time
- Professional productivity of students as reflected in student records of scholarly and creative works
- Ability of the mentor to both intellectually challenge and support students
- Evidence that the mentor supports students both professionally and personally in the classroom, laboratory and beyond
- Evidence for high standards of scholarly, professional and personal ethics
- Ability to encourage students to work toward independence as scholars and professionals
- Evidence for helping students obtain the resources they need to succeed including help with placement following graduation
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.