Dissertation/Research Courses Continuing Beyond One Semester

If students are working on dissertation research beyond the research credits required by their program, they should be registered in the appropriate research course (e.g., Individual Dissertation), and the course work should be graded as P/UP (passing/unsatisfactory progress), not NG (no grade) or I (incomplete). An SP grade should only be used for short-term extensions to allow completion of specific assignments and must be converted to a final grade by the end of the following semester. Students should be graded for the semester based on their progress/achievements in that semester only. It is the program director’s responsibility to communicate this to all faculty advisers and doctoral students in their program so that it is used consistently. (See Graduate Credit and Grades; Grading, Grades Assigned to Research Courses that Are Repeated for complete details of this policy.)