International Student Admission

Both graduate program admission contacts and UC International Services can assist international students with the UC graduate application process. 

The Application Process

Apply to a UC graduate program using the graduate admissions application. Do not send transcripts or other admissions materials to the Graduate School. These materials will not be attached to your application. All application materials must be uploaded to the online application. 

There is a $5 surcharge for international applications.

Application deadlines vary by program. Some programs admit students every term, while others admit students only once per year. To find out when your application is due, asks the admission contact for your program of interest. 

The Graduate School is unable to inform you as to when you will receive an admission decision. Individual graduate programs are responsible for determining all admissions decisions, including the timeframe for when decisions will be made. Please contact the program to which you applied to find out more information. Use the graduate program finder to find the appropriate contact person for your program.

Browse our Admissions FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) for more information about the application and admissions process: 

Relevant Admission Policies

International students with F-1 visas can only be granted admission as matriculated graduate status in a degree seeking program. Most international students with J-1 visas can be granted admission with matriculated graduate status only, with some exceptions. Students with J-1 visas should inquire with UC International Services to determine the regulations that apply to them. Students with green cards (U.S. resident aliens/permanent residents) are not defined as international students and, therefore, are not governed by the university’s international student policies. However, the English proficiency requirement does apply to green card holders (see the English Proficiency Requirement page).

In instances where an international student holds a degree for which the U.S. equivalent is not known, or if it is determined by the program or the Graduate School that the applicant does not have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree, the program must submit a petition for admission without the bachelor’s degree, with supporting documentation and rationale, to the Associate Dean of the Graduate School.

UC International Services

UC International Services supports the needs of international students at the University of Cincinnati. The office assists international students in understanding the rules, regulations, and procedures that must be followed during their stay in the United States and provides support services and cultural information to students. UC International Services is located in Suite 7148, One Edwards Center (1-513-556-4278). Information about admission to the University of Cincinnati for international students is available on their website.