To those outside the University of Cincinnati community, the school is defined by a handful of emblems. The name of the university itself, red and black uniforms in motion and an odd mascot that is neither a bear nor a cat: these are the images UC projects to the world at large. These icons are so constantly visible that we often don’t question how they came to be, but their stories prove to be worth retelling.
Who Are We?
UC’s seal will inform you that the university was founded in 1819, but this simple date glosses over our institution’s surprisingly complicated origins. That year actually marks the founding of Cincinnati College and the Medical College of Ohio, which were two separate schools. The University of Cincinnati name wasn’t used until 1870, when the city of Cincinnati created an entirely new school; first christened McMicken University after its major financial backer, the school was renamed within a month by its board of directors. UC absorbed the two earlier colleges in the city, but its expansion was far from finished. The Carl H. Lindner College of Business, College of Nursing and College-Conservatory of Music all had lives as private institutions before getting rolled into the larger university.