Professional Development Institute
In addition to disciplinary experience and achievements, success in any career requires leadership and interpersonal skills, effective speaking and writing, the ability to obtain funding or other necessary resources, and wisdom in confronting the societal implications of your work. These pages are designed to introduce you to resources at UC and elsewhere that will give you these skills!
Organizations for Graduate Students
- The Career Development Center is an excellence resource for graduate students. They can help you at every stage of the job search with career coaches, a job search board specifically for UC students and alumni, résumé critiques and more.
- The Graduate Association for Teaching Enhancement (GATE), a teaching initiative developed by graduate students, for graduate students.
- UC International Services
- Grad Share is an online community for graduate students where people can find and offer advice on a wide range of topics such as work-life balance, the publishing process, dissertation topic selection and funding.
- myIDP: Science Careers is a useful resource for doctoral students in science fields. The website aims to help students leverage their expertise into a satisfying and productive career.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education's Graduate Students section, which offers advice on dissertation writing, school-life balance, dealing with debt, and other important issues.