Graduate School Dean's Fellowship
The Graduate School Dean's Fellowship typically awards five fellowships annually to doctoral students in the final year of degree work to support superior scholarship that enhances the reputation of their program, department and the University of Cincinnati.
The recipients of this award are recommended by a faculty committee. The awards are presented spring semester, and each award includes a $20,000 fellowship and a full one-year tuition scholarship.
2016 Fellowship Recipients
Alexandre Bádue, Division of Composition, Musicology, and Theory, College-Conservatory of Music
Nina Bertaux-Skeirik, Systems Biology and Physiology Graduate Program, College of Medicine
Joshua Eby, Department of Physics, McMicken College of Arts & Sciences
Siva Nagi Reddy Inturi, Department of Biomedical, Chemical, and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering and Applied Science
Mark Mitchell, Department of Biological Sciences, McMicken College of Arts & Sciences
Valentina Petrolini, Department of Philosophy, McMicken College of Arts & Sciences
Ruth Pogacar, Business Administration PhD Program, Carl H. Lindner College of Business
Song Shu, Department of Geography, McMicken College of Arts & Sciences
Upcoming Award Cycle
Eligible students are those with a dissertation committee established and who will have all coursework completed by the beginning of Fall Semester, 2017. The fellowship entails a commitment of two semesters of full-time dissertation work. Thus nominations should not include those who will graduate prior to Spring 2018. Nominations are limited to one from each doctoral program and are made by the graduate program director in consultation with program faculty. The director’s letter of nomination must provide reasonable assurance that the dissertation is proceeding on schedule.
The upcoming award cycle will open October 24, 2016. Nominations will be due to the Graduate School by 5 p.m. on December 15, 2016. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
- Letter of nomination by the graduate program director
- A recommendation letter from the student’s dissertation chair stating the student’s qualifications for the award and potential for leadership in the discipline
- At least one other letter of recommendation from a faculty member familiar with the student’s academic and creative or research/scholarly accomplishments
- Student submission of a statement (up to two pages) describing creative and/or scholarly accomplishments, especially the significance in the discipline
- A two-page resume that includes current contact information for the student
- Student submission of plans (up to two pages) for the dissertation work during the fellowship year, including (a) approximate date of dissertation defense and graduation term and (b) number of credits still required to complete the degree before the start of academic year 2017-18
- A PDF copy of one representative paper given at meetings of the student’s society and/or academic journal publications or other media that features creative work
- Register full-time (12 credits or more) for fall and spring semester 2017-18
- Register for ENGL 9010, Dissertation Writing by Laura Micciche, preferably in Fall 2017
- No teaching or research employment at UC or elsewhere
- Preparation and delivery in March or April 2018 of a conference-style paper or performance or exhibition at a seminar or colloquium in the student’s program of study
- Acknowledgement of the Graduate School Dean's Fellowship in publications resulting from work done during the fellowship year