Graduate Summer Undergraduate Mentoring
The summer 2015 application cycle for graduate students will open in December 2014. The program spans June-August, 2015.
Are you intending to pursue an academic career or enter the private or government research environment? Develop your scholarly mentoring skills by becoming a graduate summer research mentor!
- Mentor undergraduate students for a 10-week summer research or other scholarly activity experience related to your thesis or dissertation work
- Undergraduate (both from UC as well as other colleges and universities) participants in the program have expressed an interest in pursuing advanced academic degrees
- $3000 stipend for Summer Term
- Awarded irrespective of other financial support, such as a Research Assistantship or Traineeship, as long as the source of existing support allows time to fulfill the GSUM award requirements
- Award may be used to supplement existing financial support or to enable release time
- Participate in an interdisciplinary professional cohort focused on identifying best practices and sharing mentoring experiences
- Graduate mentors, as part of their professional development, will participate in two mentor workshops offered by the Graduate Student Professional Development Center (GSPDC) during May
- Must be present during entire 10-weeks of program (June 2-August 6, 2014)
- Must have completed second year of graduate study by the start of the program, in the highest degree program in their discipline offered at UC, and be conducting scholarly activities for a thesis or dissertation
- Submit a two-paragraph statement of motivation describing
- what you will get out of this experience
- how your undergraduate partner will benefit from your mentorship
- A 250-word max description of your proposed project that describes the role the undergraduate will have in the project. This description will be used by the undergraduate applicants in choosing their projects.
- A letter of support from your mentor submitted online - your mentor will receive an email link to submit the recommendation