- Registered for 12 graduate credit hours or more each quarter, exclusive of audit credits
- Less than 174 attempted graduate credit hours
- Non-native speakers of English who are awarded teaching assistantships at the University of Cincinnati are required to score at least a 3.0 on the Oral English Proficiency Test (OEPT)
- Students who score 26 or above on the speaking section of the TOEFL IBT or students with a score of 50 or above on the Test of Spoken English are exempt from the OEPT test
See the Graduate School Handbook for additional requirements.
- Stipends are received in exchange for assigned duties of teaching, research or administrative service
- Students with teaching duties are called Teaching Assistants (TAs)
- Students with research duties are called Research Assistants (RAs)
- Not required to be available during break periods unless given additional compensation
- Obligated to no more than 20 hours of assigned duties per week
- Appointing academic program, college or area of responsibility determine workload requirements
- Discount at the University Bookstore
- Minimum stipends set by the Dean of the Graduate School
- Possible eligiblity for the Graduate Student Health Insurance (GSHI) Award
Cancellation of an Assistantship
University assistantships will be cancelled if the awardee does not meet his or her enrollment obligations. If a student cannot meet the requirements of the award, he or she must notify the program to renegotiatie or reassign of the award.